|Left side, ready. Haven't added scraps in last 3 weeks.|
|Great stuff. I wish you could smell it. So fresh.|
Some helpful hints I've learned along the way since my previous 2 composter posts:
- If you add lots of kitchen scraps, avoid adding too many (sugary) fruity bits. I added soft cherries and grapes, only to find I had a large quantity of ants invade one chamber.
- Adding kitchen scraps daily adds adequate moisture. No added water is necessary, unless you add a lot of dry brown debris.
- I found spinning the rolling bin should be done only once a week, if not less. Rolling it thoroughly, rather than one rotation or so is better than just once over.
- Cutting up thicker, leafier material aids the process.
- Do not fill the chambers to full. Fill about 2/3rds. This allows for air circulation and better tumbling of contents.
- Filling the chamber nearly full with green waste will not give you a full chamber when done.
- Keep the vents open.
|Right side - scrap side|
|Right chamber: not ready...but getting there!|