1.) Garlic herb butter:
1 lb of butter (unsalted)
2 table spoons super fine chopped parsley, chives, basil, and oregano
2 cloves (large) of pressed/minced garlic
pinch of onion powder (optional)
- Leave butter on counter for a few hours, until soft to mix with a spoon.
- Mix in dry herbs and garlic in bowl
- Put mixing bowl of butter in fridge for 10 minutes
- Take slightly hardened herb butter out and form into solid blocks, or shapes
- Wrap individually with cling-film and wrap again with tin-foil.
I make small balls and or squares, sizes can vary for certain uses. That way you don't have to refreeze the butter after you use some. I use this garlic herb butter especially for my garlic bread and seafood dips.
Place your herbs with stems on paper towels and place in a dark, dry area and allow them to dry til they get brittle. Take the leaves off of the stem, placing them in a plastic zip back and crush the bag. Or use a pestle and mortar to make super fine herbs for recipes. Fill in desired sterilized jars and use or give away at Christmas. Great for soups, salads or for the cottage.
Freeze garlic (when they start to sprout or get old) and ginger when you have too much. Place the minced garlic and or ginger in ice-cube trays and cover with cling film until they are frozen in freezer. Remove from tray and pop them into resealable zip bags for when you need them. I love doing this, as I tend to forget to buy ginger or garlic sometimes. Now I don't have to worry in a pinch.
- For Ontario readers: I'm a fan of home grown garlic. I wish I had enough full sun to grow some. Instead I buy it from the farmers market. One clove of Ontario grown garlic is twice as flavourful and potent than 3 cloves of the imported, tiny versions. You will taste the difference right away! Buy some during the season, mince it and freeze it. I still prefer it to the imported pure white versions you see at the grocer. Far better and cheaper during the winter months.
2. "Weedy Salad" (with the 'weed' Purslane)
Fresh Oregano Leaves
2 tbsp Purslane (the weed) Leaves
2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 an Avocado
Salt & Pepper to taste
splash of Olive Oil
1/2 tsp of dried Oregano flakes
1 tbsp of Black Olive tapenade
1/2 tsp of Dijon Mustard